Monday 6 April 2009

Just desserts

"God, sir, does not plan to judge man until the end of his days. Why should you or I?" This is the attitude that I so often forget when thinking of ways that others have wronged me. It is so easy for one to judge another, or to see the mote that is in the eye of someone else without noticing the beam in his or her own. Indeed Sykes was mean, he was hurtful (both physically and emotionally), and it seems that he got what was coming to him. Yet something bothers me. It is my own attitude. I was extremely gleeful and delighted to see what happened to "mean ole' Sykes" and gave virtually no thought to his pain and suffering. I thought only of the relief of Delia's tribulations. Granted, this is what the author seems to lead us to think, but those truly sensitive and caring would also think of the suffering of another. This is just a story, but I worry about the implications it may have in my personal life. Sykes screwed up. Bigtime. Could it be that Delia, in her insistence to avoid the situation, has erred as well? Judge not lest ye be judged, forgive seventy times seven. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Do these mantras still hold true today?

1 comment:

  1. Dave!! I love your comment! That is how I felt during the discussion on Thursday but couldn't put it into words without getting a strong rebuttal. Thanks for bringing it up. And no, I think those mantras have nearly dissolved like much of the goodness in this world.

    ReplyDelete