Thursday 16 April 2009

Stick it to the Man!

So when we were first given this paper to write and the assignment to come up with an original thesis, I thought of something that has always intrigued me...the portrayal of women today compared to how we were in history. Sounds pretty simple I know, and its obvious that we've come a long way since the early centuries. But I have never been more frustrated in my life as I am at this moment finishing up my paper! Our world is so sick and twisted it's unbelievable! Looking up different sources led me to see a lot of things that even I didn't realize was going on that was so diminishing in our world to the female race...if any of you have seen the movie Taken it reminded me a lot of that. Woman are, and always have been, portrayed as sexual objects of desire and no matter how much the world tries to say that in our day and time everyone is equal its a bunch of crap. I think I'm going to be a sexist advocate when I grow up...whatever that is.

2 comments:

  1. I think its interesting to look at how males are viewed in society now-a-days. Back in the day the man was the dominant one of the house that controlled everything and the women obeyed. He was looked upon as the decision maker and intelligent one.
    These days there are so many TV shows and commercials on TV that portray men as a fat guys that do nothing but sit on the couch, watch sports, drink beer, and eat doritos. They are now portrayed to be less intelligent and lazy which most definitely and unfortunately has an affect on many men today to actually become how they've been portrayed through the media.
    It was just a thought that came to me as I was reading your post Jessica. I totally agree with what you've said about how women today are viewed. Many people (obviously not all) from both genders sadly seem to become what they are portrayed as, both today and in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both you. I guess it all can come down to conditioning and stereotypes. I wrote my first paper on how men need to be cut some slack. Not ALL men are sexist jerks(I am not implying that Jessica was saying that). I think throughout history men have been told that they have to be a certain way in order to be accepted by other men and perhaps become successful. Yes, we each have innate characteristics about us- Heather's final paper touches on this, she explained it really well. Anyways, I think perhaps b.c. of those innate characteristic history/society has allowed it to goto the extreme- causing sexism. Or misconception about what having innate characteristics really means.

    ReplyDelete